Frequently Asked Questions
Does your gunsmith work on pellet guns?
- Is that legal?
- All merchandise in the shop is legal to sell and to own.
- Now: we do NOT do certain things because doing so would be a felony for US. This includes selling handguns or their ammunition to anyone under 21 years of age. It also includes selling any guns or ammunition to anyone under 18 years of age.
- Do you match prices?
- So many companies that can sell what we sell, for lower prices, and still stay profitable because they pay lower prices than we do, that we can't afford to match prices without going out of business.
- No: we can't AFFORD to match prices.
- Why should I buy from YOU?
- 1. If you carry the Michigan Concealed Pistol License, we are not required to run a NICS background check on you - and we don't. Many other retailers do, even though it is not required by federal or state law.
- 2. If you do not have a Michigan CPL yet, we will run a NICS background check. If NICS has not called back within 3 business days, we will transfer your gun to you. Many retailers will not.
- 3. We are not paid on commission; we eat even if no one buys. (Unless we go out of business first.) We will not push you into spending more than you're comfortable with; we will not bullshit you just to take more of your money.
- "Can you order 'this'?"
- If we couldn't order guns, we wouldn't have any NEW guns in stock. Your average mega-store that has a corporation behind it probably receives stuff from corporate regardless of what the local store wants. We have no one behind us, except a crowd of wholesalers that want our business. Yes, in most cases, we can order what you want. Of course, guaranteeing price or delivery time is another matter....
- Do you carry SIG-Sauer products? What about H&K, Kimber, Walther, or Beretta?
- We'd be thrilled to carry any of these fine lines, if we had anyone to dust the unsold weapons. We have carried one or more of these lines in the past, but most were more expensive than Glocks - and we have a hard-enough time selling those.
- What do you recommend for a woman? (asked by a man)
- We've had a lot of success with moderate mulch, watering twice a week, and plenty of MiracleGro.
- In other words, WOMEN AREN'T ZINNIAS. Women need to pick their own guns, and they need to do it after SOME professional training, such as the private training offered by instructors such as Chris Bauer or Eugene Navilys. They need to know what they're getting into - and the cost.
- Do you offer any discounts?
- We'll be happy to start offering discounts when enough of our customers tell us they're willing to take up the slack.
- For example, if younger customers agree to make up for the cost of a senior discount, we'll offer a senior discount.
- Do you sell hunting and fishing licenses?
- Sorry, no, not since about 1995.
- Do you have a shooting range?
- No - we'd never get anything done!
- Do you sell bulk ammunition?
- Do you sell surplus ammunition?
- Pal, there's a war on: there is no "surplus" ammunition!
- May I bring my gun into the store? I want to make sure the (holster/clip/whatever) I need will fit.
- Sure: if you don't point it at us, we won't shoot you.
- In fact, if you need a magazine, we'd rather you did bring the gun in.
- Do you do appraisals?
- Yes; if you don't need a written copy, we can be downright reasonable about the cost.
- We normally appraise at retail value. If you then want to sell the gun to us, we will quote its wholesale value.
- Do you do trades/trade-ins?
- The short answer is Yes.
- We will offer you a wholesale price for your gun. If the gun for which you want to trade is priced higher than that, you will need to make up the difference with cash or a credit card.
- I need some work done on my gun - can you tell me how much it will cost?
- In many common cases, yes, we can.
- In many cases not so common, we may refer to examples of similar jobs we have done in the past.
- In ANY event, when we say we are giving an estimate, we are using "estimate" in the generic sense of "calculated or informed guess": our estimates are not promises, only courtesies.
- If I leave my gun to be worked on, can you call me with an estimate?
- Sorry; no. In most cases, enough work is required just to uncover the problem, that we can save your money by just going ahead and repairing the problem.
- Do you have parts?
- Yes; we repair a wide variety of problems in a wide variety of guns, and we often have all parts needed on hand; when we don't, we order them.
- Parts orders and parts sales that are not connected to a work-order, however, are no longer possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may occasion.
- Do you have clips?
- Yes, and magazines, too - but only for a limited variety of guns. If you bring us the gun, we may be able to find the magazine that fits.
- Without the gun, identifying the magazine becomes virtually impossible.
- Special orders may be possible.
- Do you carry leather holsters?
- Very few; give the folks at Double Action, in Madison Heights, a call, at 248-588-4488. They also carry pistol belts by Galco.
- Do you sell pepper spray?
- Yes, we normally have some on hand.
- Do you carry police duty gear?
- Do you sell knives or other cutlery?
- Not really: once, we did, but we have only left-over stock, now.
- Do you sell or service archery equipment?
- Not for about 25 years; sorry.
- Do you carry Airsoft or paintball guns or supplies?
- We usually carry Copperhead CO2 cartridges, but that's all.
- Do you carry pellet guns?
- Not for a while, now, but we still stock .177-, .20-, and .22-caliber pellets by
Do you carry infra-red?
- No; try calling 1-800-7-AIRGUN; they should be able to help you find someone who does.
- You can also try consulting this guy.
Do you sell Tasers?
- No. First, we think they're a bad idea. Second, we would also be required to give the state-mandated training, and we have no training facilities. Check with these folks.
I see that ordinary citizens can own automatic weapons, now, in Michigan - do you sell machine guns or assault rifles?
Do you have more than one location?
- No, we only have the class 1 federal firearms license.
Do you set up at any of the gun shows?
- No. The store was originally opened, in 1946, on John R, north of 6 Mile Road. The business was moved to its present location in 1981.
Do you offer any training, such as for the Michigan Concealed Pistol License?
Say, speaking of concealed carry - do you know what states allow it, and so forth?
- No, we lack sufficient staff.
What about the Michigan carry license - is it any good anywhere else?
- See this map; for more information, see these folks, the source of the map.
- Sure - see this map (more info as above).
Why do I need a gun? I got a baseball bat - my kids take karate!
- Statistically speaking, you probably won't ever need a gun. You came to us - remember? Seriously, if you're attacked by someone who doesn't care if you live or die - do you really want to get inside knife-range? (None of us do.) Of course, if your attacker isn't trying to kill you, a gun will only get you into trouble. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
What do I need to buy a handgun from you?
What do I need to buy a rifle or a shotgun from you?
- Michigan residency;
- no less than 21 years of age;
- an unexpired Michigan pistol purchase permit ("License to Purchase"), available from your local police department, or
- an unexpired Michigan Concealed Pistol License;
- an unexpired Michigan driver's license or state identification card;
- cash or plastic; management approval required for checks.
But suppose I am not a citizen? Suppose I am a Resident Alien?
- No less than 18 years of age;
- an unexpired driver's license or state identification card;
- residents of other states may also need to meet other requirements, such as the FOID in Illinois.
- All buyers will be required to complete a federal form 4473; many will need to pass a NICS background check.
- You will, of course, need cash or plastic or, with management approval, a check.
- In general, buyers need to be citizens - except for Resident Aliens (holders of the so-called "Green Card").
Can you run a background check on me?
- Only if we are actually in the process of selling a gun to you.
May I sell my gun to a third party, someone else, while I am in the shop?
- Not even in the parking lot.
- There are legal inferences that can be drawn and we simply will not allow behavior that encourages these. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
What happened to all your guns?
Do you guys work on commission?
- We buy and sell guns - not necessarily always in perfect synchronization!
Are you going out of business?
Are you hiring?
- Nope - we think we can be more helpful on straight wages.
Why ".biz"? Why not ".com"?
- We'll be happy to look at your resume, but keep in mind...
- ...we don't pay relocation.
- ...we have no training program,
- ...we're all on straight salary (except the gunsmiths), and
- ...did I mention the Michigan economy?
- Well, when we started the website, the domain name we wanted wasn't available - as a ".com" - so we started as a ".biz". Eventually, the ".com" version became available and, now, either URL will get you to the same content.
Depending upon how busy we are, we will do our best to answer your questions - but many questions about any gun or gun problem you may have are EXTREMELY hard, if not impossible, to answer unless we have the gun in front of us.
Wessel Gun Shop, Inc. is licensed by the federal government to buy and sell guns for profit and livelihood, and strives with due diligence to conduct its business in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
Wessel Gun Shop, Inc. reserves the right to decline service to anyone its employees suspect of attempting to violate federal, state, or local law, especially with regard to buying guns on behalf of people legally prohibited from owning guns, or buying ammunition before reaching the minimum ages for doing so (18 years for rifle and shotgun ammunition, 21 years for handgun ammunition).
Home § Contact § News § Products § Services § Policies § Links § Staff § History
Last update THU24MAR16 WebMaster